THE lack of a bull market in Spain is good news for bulls at least.
The worst economic downturn since the second world war has seen less bulls being killed in the traditional corridas, or bullfights.
With unemployment across the country nearing 18 per cent and consumer spending dropping, many bullfight fans are cutting back on their hobby.
The number of bullfights fell to 1,443 in 2009, from 1,877 the year before — a drop of 23 per cent.
According to figures from the Union of Fighting Bull Breeders, more than 4,000 bulls have been spared a death in the ring.
Instead of being dispatched by the matador, they will be kept on farms around Spain and will probably be slaughtered for food later.
The industry generates 2.5 billion euros a year for Spain’s economy. It receives subsidies from the Spanish government and the EU estimated at 600 million euros and represents about 1.5 per cent of GDP.
However, bull-breeding industry sources say that there has been a downturn not only in the number of bullfights but also in street festivals, in which bulls are customarily tormented by crowds before being killed.
Catalonia recently voted to ban the sport and is now awaiting for the decision to be ratified.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27