POLICE have found three young walkers who had been missing for three days in extreme weather conditions near Jaen.
The ramblers, aged between 18 and 21, were feared dead after they disappeared on Wednesday morning in the Contadero-Selladores mountain range near Baños de la Encina, in Jaen.
A search party involving helicopters, sniffer-dogs, the forestry brigade, the army and the police was combing the area until 17.30hrs on Christmas Day.
Finally, the youths were discovered, soaked to the skin and suffering from hypothermia, and with their feet covered in blisters.
They had survived by drinking water from streams and without any food whatsoever.
Emergency services say they are otherwise unhurt and are expected to be discharged from hospital today.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00