AN expatriate living in Spain is understood to have scooped a record 60 million euros in Friday’s Euro Millions draw.
The winner is believed to live in the Almeria town of Mojacar, where half of the 10,000 population is British.
He was joined by another winner in the UK, who also scooped 60 million euros.
One ticket in Britain and one in Spain shared the 120 million jackpot.
“There is a very good chance the winning ticket was bought by a Brit living in Mojácar.”
Subject to validation, the prize could be paid out when the banks open tomorrow. The winner can then decide whether to go public.
A spokesman for the official lottery operator in Spain, Loterias y Apuestas del Estado, said: “There is a very good chance the winning ticket was bought by a Brit living in Mojácar.”
Mojacar, a popular holiday destination for Britons, boasts a British library, an English Bullfighting Club and a branch of the Royal British Legion.
Last night Lotto bosses in the UK confirmed that a double record-breaking cash bonanza for British players was a realistic possibility.
Both ticket-holders will be catapulted into first place in the National Lottery rich list. Joint second on the list of lottery wins are Les Scadding and wife Sam from South Wales, and the Lucky Seven syndicate from Liverpool, who each banked a EuroMillions cheque for £45.5million in November last year.
Angela Kelly from Glasgow is third with her £35.4million win in August 2007 followed by an unnamed £26.5million winner the same month.
IF YOU KNOW THE WINNER CONTACT THE OLIVE PRESS ON 00 34 691831399 OR EMAIL [email protected]
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00