A NOVEL inspired by Nazis on the Costa del Sol has landed an award-winning Spanish author German death threats.
Clara Sanchez’s What Hides Your Name won Spain’s prestigious and oldest literature prize, the Premio Nadal, in January.
“What are you afraid of, Mrs Sanchez? Why don’t you answer me? ‘Heil Hitler!”
The esteemed author was sent a letter written in red capital letters threatening: “What are you afraid of, Mrs Sanchez? Why don’t you answer me? ‘Heil Hitler!”
The novel is based on a true story about an octogenarian Nazi death camp guard who tries to hide his past on the Spanish coast after the war.
However, after receiving the coveted award, Sanchez explained: “I did not hide because we only have this life to express ourselves as we are.”
“The novel’s message is that the monsters we most fear are often hiding behind friendly faces.
“Sometimes they go their whole lives without paying any price whatsoever for their crimes.”
Sanchez added that she wanted to raise awareness about the Nazis which escaped justice after they settled in Spain.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00