A NOVEL inspired by Nazis on the Costa del Sol has landed an award-winning Spanish author German death threats.
Clara Sanchez’s What Hides Your Name won Spain’s prestigious and oldest literature prize, the Premio Nadal, in January.
“What are you afraid of, Mrs Sanchez? Why don’t you answer me? ‘Heil Hitler!”
The esteemed author was sent a letter written in red capital letters threatening: “What are you afraid of, Mrs Sanchez? Why don’t you answer me? ‘Heil Hitler!”
The novel is based on a true story about an octogenarian Nazi death camp guard who tries to hide his past on the Spanish coast after the war.
However, after receiving the coveted award, Sanchez explained: “I did not hide because we only have this life to express ourselves as we are.”
“The novel’s message is that the monsters we most fear are often hiding behind friendly faces.
“Sometimes they go their whole lives without paying any price whatsoever for their crimes.”
Sanchez added that she wanted to raise awareness about the Nazis which escaped justice after they settled in Spain.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00