A BRITISH man has carried out a hit and run attack on a Belgium consul.
The man, described as 40-years old and 1.80m tall, drove his English-number plated car into diplomat Claude de Hennin before fleeing the scene.
Hennin, 70, suffered heavy bruising to his right leg and arm after being hit outside the consulate offices in Mijas.
“It was a very strong hit and it hurt a great deal,” said Hennin, who was taken directly to Las Lagunas health centre.
Earlier, the Belgium ambassador endured a foul-mouthed tirade from another Briton outside the Embassy – this time a woman.
He had advised the mother that her young son – who was who was playing in front of the consulate’s garage door – ought to move before he drove off.
She proceeded to harangue Hennin, before the politician slipped back inside the offices.
On leaving the building once more, a Britain and his dog this time approached the diplomat and began insulting him.
Witnessing the commotion, a consulate worker called Mijas police and the aggressive Britain got into his car and assumed his getaway.
Hennin tried to block his path until the police arrived but the Britain “revved his engine and hit” the ambassador.
After being treated for his injuries, the politician filed a police report.
“I would like to thank the Guardia Civil and local police for their impeccable handling of the situation,” added Hennin.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58