WHEN Fernando Alonso roared to victory in this Formula One season’s inaugural race, even King Juan Carlos was in Bahrain to celebrate his stunning victory.
Yet there was one notable, yet often forgotten absentee, his singer and model wife, Raquel del Rosario.
Despite the high-profile appearances of fellow pop star girlfriends such as Nicole Sherzinger at the race events, Rosario ensures her public appearances remain low key.
The member of Spanish group El Sueno de Morfeo prefers to avoid the limelight as the tenth best-paid sporting star in the world steals the headlines.
The talented 27-year-old, from Gran Canarias, has steered clear of the red carpets as she focussed on her alternative music career.
For the self-taught musician, who began song writing at 14, formed her popular Spanish Celtic rock band in 2004 after moving to Asturias.
But just two years later Rosario wed the two-time world champion and settled down in Oxford with her racing beau.
Yet Rosario’s perennial spotlight shunning has consistently fuelled rumours that the 2006 marriage is one high-speed corner from crashing and burning.
Last December Alonso’s agent, Luis Garcia Abad, denied reports that the pair were about to split.
For the moment, it appears that the rival to Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button’s show-stopping girlfriends is happy outside of the pit lane.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00