THE dilapidated farmhouse which inspired poet Federico Garcia Lorca’s tragic Blood Wedding has been named among 3,500 protected buildings in Andalucia.
The crumbling Cortijo del Fraile was named as a site of cultural interest (BIC) as part of the new law of Historical Heritage.
The Olive Press has campaigned extensively for the site – where the infamous Crimen de Nijar took place in 1931 – to be protected.
“The new law has contributed to the much-needed protection of Andalucia’s cultural landmarks,” explained regional heritage chief Juan Manuel Becerra.
“Above all, we can now protect sites such as the Cortijo in a more effective way.”
Meanwhile, further good news was confirmed with the restoration of Nerja’s historic aqueduct.
The Junta agreed to pay 70 per cent of the estimated 747,500 euros needed for the upgrade, with the town hall paying the difference.
The contract was awarded to Hermanos Campano SL, which lodged a price 30 per cent less than the estimate.
Called the Bridge of the Eagle, it was completed in 1880 by a local called Francisco Cantarero Rodriguez.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58