A SPATE of mystery cat killings has shocked a sleepy mountain village.
The moggies were allegedly poisoned in the streets of Montejaque, near Ronda.
Resident Rita Koehler, 58, was confronted with the corpse of a neighbour’s cat, just one day before her own pet, Cleo, perished.
“I am outraged that someone has murdered my pussy, just one-year-old and such a pretty, friendly and home-loving cat,” said Koehler.
“We’re all shocked that a fellow human being could so indiscriminately seek to kill cats. I have now seen two dead cats in two days, it’s awful.”
Koehler’s vet, Jose Maria Gonzalez, confirmed that Cleo was likely to have been poisoned.
“Cleo came in for a check-up one week before and she was in perfect condition.
“It was a sudden death and, although an autopsy hasn’t been undertaken yet, it looks as if she was poisoned.”
Another cat owner Jill La Peche also found her tomcat Wink Wonk, three, dead in the road.
“It’s devastating, I am shocked,” she said. “If it was poison then it’s completely illegal, imagine if children picked it up.”
Another resident, Barry Harrison, 74, claims that a further ten cats may have been poisoned near his house.
“Less than six months ago, there used to be 14 stray cats who hung out at the top of the village. I used to feed them and look after them as much as I could.
“Now there are just four. I’m so worried what will happen if I take my eyes off my very own cat Billy. It’s terrible.”
A spokesperson for the local Guardia Civil said that he couldn’t divulge any information regarding the ongoing investigation.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00