A SPATE of mystery cat killings has shocked a sleepy mountain village.
The moggies were allegedly poisoned in the streets of Montejaque, near Ronda.
Resident Rita Koehler, 58, was confronted with the corpse of a neighbour’s cat, just one day before her own pet, Cleo, perished.
“I am outraged that someone has murdered my pussy, just one-year-old and such a pretty, friendly and home-loving cat,” said Koehler.
“We’re all shocked that a fellow human being could so indiscriminately seek to kill cats. I have now seen two dead cats in two days, it’s awful.”
Koehler’s vet, Jose Maria Gonzalez, confirmed that Cleo was likely to have been poisoned.
“Cleo came in for a check-up one week before and she was in perfect condition.
“It was a sudden death and, although an autopsy hasn’t been undertaken yet, it looks as if she was poisoned.”
Another cat owner Jill La Peche also found her tomcat Wink Wonk, three, dead in the road.
“It’s devastating, I am shocked,” she said. “If it was poison then it’s completely illegal, imagine if children picked it up.”
Another resident, Barry Harrison, 74, claims that a further ten cats may have been poisoned near his house.
“Less than six months ago, there used to be 14 stray cats who hung out at the top of the village. I used to feed them and look after them as much as I could.
“Now there are just four. I’m so worried what will happen if I take my eyes off my very own cat Billy. It’s terrible.”
A spokesperson for the local Guardia Civil said that he couldn’t divulge any information regarding the ongoing investigation.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48