EXCLUSIVE By Jon Clarke and Nicola Cowell
IT was exactly the incentive they needed to unload the unwanted timeshare they had owned in Madeira for years.
Promised a buyer for their timeshare – and the chance to earn 10,000 euros in a fabulous cashback scheme – the alarm bells should have started ringing.
But Les and Beryl Simpson, 66, from Eastbourne, ploughed on regardless and signed up to Incentive Leisure’s ‘holiday club’ scheme, the Designer Way Vacation Club, and invested 8000 pounds in the Reclaim share.
“We were told by Incentive that we would be able to claim back a total of £17,000 by 2012 from just that £8,000,” explained Les, 67.
“It sounded like a good deal.”
However, when a year later the timeshare had still not been sold the couple started to get suspicious.
It was then that they started to research the Incentive group and its boss Garry Leigh – who was killed earlier this month in a cycling accident in Marbella.
“I discovered he had been convicted of 11 counts of fraud at Reading Court, so I wrote demanding to know what was happening,” he continued.
But to this day they have heard nothing.
“We’ll never get our £8,000 back now, particularly as Leigh has died, so that is the end of that,” said Les.
Set up by Leigh in 2003, Incentive Leisure is linked to Designer Way Vacation, Compare Your Timeshare, Dreamworks Vacation Club, and many more businesses.
One of Incentive’s ex-employees Lynda Hudd, 54, told the Olive Press how Leigh always seemed to have a smile on his face, despite the fact that he was conning innocent people.
“Obviously, the longer I worked there the more I realised people got scammed, as almost everyone got a call to say they’d won a holiday or something, but had to attend a meeting.”
Curiously, a day after our exclusive story on the death of Leigh last issue, we received a cryptic call from a 952 number based next to the Waterpark in Fuengirola, where Incentive has an office.
The number, it turned out, came from a company called ‘Pro Travel Solutions’, which reportedly has links to Leigh.
When we called nobody could tell us what the company did, nor what it offered.
Eventually we got a call back from someone in admin called ‘Sam’ who demanded to know how we got the number.
We didn’t hear from them again.
Incentive Leisure declined to comment.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00