By Wendy Williams
AROUND 20 Britons have been arrested in Ibiza following a large scale drugs raid.
The raids, controlled from the air by helicopter, began on Friday in a joint operation carried out by Spanish National Guard and the UK’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).
In a bid to halt the British gangs who overrun the island each summer, officers searched several houses near the party resort of San Antonio and discovered quantities of ecstasy, cocaine and other drugs.
Four women were led away in handcuffs from an apartment in the Cala de Bou area and several more suspects were arrested at a flat in the West End of San Antonio.
According to the Civil Guard, 24 people were arrested in total – the majority British – and they will now appear before a judge.
Their spokesman said: “This operation is still going on and we cannot give any details at this stage.”
But he added: “A pile of Britons have been detained.”
This weekend’s busts were the biggest since a crackdown last September in which Spanish police arrested 25 suspected dealers from Liverpool.
It is believed that rival British drugs networks from Manchester and Liverpool have been operating in Ibiza for many years targeting young thrill-seeking tourists who flock to the resort.
The island, famed for its club culture, attracts around half a million British visitors each summer.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00