By Wendy Williams
AROUND 20 Britons have been arrested in Ibiza following a large scale drugs raid.
The raids, controlled from the air by helicopter, began on Friday in a joint operation carried out by Spanish National Guard and the UK’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).
In a bid to halt the British gangs who overrun the island each summer, officers searched several houses near the party resort of San Antonio and discovered quantities of ecstasy, cocaine and other drugs.
Four women were led away in handcuffs from an apartment in the Cala de Bou area and several more suspects were arrested at a flat in the West End of San Antonio.
According to the Civil Guard, 24 people were arrested in total – the majority British – and they will now appear before a judge.
Their spokesman said: “This operation is still going on and we cannot give any details at this stage.”
But he added: “A pile of Britons have been detained.”
This weekend’s busts were the biggest since a crackdown last September in which Spanish police arrested 25 suspected dealers from Liverpool.
It is believed that rival British drugs networks from Manchester and Liverpool have been operating in Ibiza for many years targeting young thrill-seeking tourists who flock to the resort.
The island, famed for its club culture, attracts around half a million British visitors each summer.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00