By Wendy Williams
SPANISH police have broken up a human-trafficking gang that brought men to the country to work as prostitutes.
According to the police 14 people, mainly Brazilians, have been arrested on suspicion of running the organization with another 17 alleged prostitutes arrested for being in Spain illegally.
This is the first case in which the authorities have broken up a ring in which traffickers brought in men, not women, to work in the sex industry.
And it is not known if the male prostitutes serviced men or women.
The victims, who were burdened with debts of up to 4,000 euros as the cost of bringing them to Spain, were provided with Viagra, cocaine and other stimulant drugs to make them available for sex 24 hours a day.
It is thought some were deceived into believing legitimate jobs awaited them while others knew they would be working in the sex industry, but not that they had to be available around the clock.
The arrests have been made over recent weeks and the alleged ringleader is a Brazilian based in Palma on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27