By Wendy Williams
SPAIN is the world leader for the number of organ donations made each year according to a new report.
The study, which will be released in early September, reveals that Spain has a rate of 34.4 donors per million inhabitants.
This equated to more than 4000 transplants performed in 2009 with record numbers for kidney and lung transplants.
And within the European Union 17.5 percent of all organ donations were made in Spain.
Published in the 2010 edition of the EU’s newsletter Transplant, the report says that: “Transplant activity in Spain, which retains its world leadership in this field, continues to grow in a sustained manner, basically thanks to donations from family members of elderly people who have died.”
The report also showed that for the second year running, there was a small increase across Europe in the rate of organ donations, with a total of 18.3 donations per million inhabitants, compared with 18.2 the previous year.
However, with 64,726 people waiting for a transplant in Europe at the end of 2009, these figures still remain insufficient.
It is estimated that at least ten Europeans die each day waiting for an organ transplant.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00