By Nicola Cowell
SPAIN has sold more than 3.3 billion euros of national debt in five-year bonds.
The five-year debt attracted more than 50 per cent demand from foreign investors at a recent debt auction.
The news comes after concerns in July that Madrid’s debt was only attracting Spanish investors.
But this unexpected demand from non-residents has been put down to the fact that there is now less concern over Spain’s ability to recover its huge debts, with firm cost-cutting measures in place throughout the country.
Cagdas Aksu from Barclays Capital in London said: “Things in Spain are gradually going in the right direction, not just on the budget but also with the stress tests, for example.”
Most of Spain’s banks passed stress tests published earlier this year, and the country’s deficit is shrinking after almost two years in recession.
Although still the euro-zone’s third largest deficit, Spain now has a debt of 53 per cent of its overall income, which is less than the average of 79 per cent throughout Europe.
And the government’s drastic money-saving measures, including public-sector wage cuts and an increase in taxes, are the most serious cuts it has made in three decades.
The debt auction was the first of three scheduled to take place in Spain this month.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27