By Wendy Williams
AN urgent awareness campaign is to be launched in a bid to stop the continuing fatal practice of “balconing”.
It comes after another incident on Sunday when a 26-year-old Italian plunged to his death from a 7th floor balcony at a hotel in Playa den Bossa on Ibiza.
Now, as the death toll reaches up to six people, with three times the number of “balconing” incidents to previous years, the Balearic Islands tourist association is to issue strong warnings to all visitors.
A new hard-hitting video campaign will have a similar impact to the graphic road safety adverts shown here in Spain.
Some steps have been taken to stem the growing tide such as raising the balcony railings.
And police forces are threatening to hand out fines of up to 300 euros and to have offenders sent home.
But the President of the Ibiza Hotel Federation, Juan Jose Riera, admitted that this phenomenon is very difficult to control.
He said: “We’ve got to try and do everything possible to prevent it happening.
“These young people think they’re heroes but they’re kamikazes.”
According to a survey of 6000 young British and German tourists who visited the Balearic Islands last year, 35 per cent were drunk at least every other night, and nine per cent had been sexually harassed.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00