By Wendy Williams
MORE than 60,000 people gathered this weekend to witness the beatification of Capuchin monk Fray Leopoldo de Alpandeire.
The special ceremony, held on Sunday at the Armilla air base in Granada, was attended by 150 religious figures from around the world and paid homage to the Spanish monk, who is much revered throughout Andalucía.
Born near Ronda, the eldest of four siblings, he spent most of his life working in Granada, until his death in 1956 aged 92.
And his tomb, located in the Capuchin convent, has already gained cult status and has been described as “the most visited place in Granada after the Alhambra palace”.
Now, the city has officially become the city of Fray Leopoldo.
And with over 3,000 people involved in organising the event, at a cost of around three million euros, the open-air mass has awarded Fray Leopoldo the title of Blessed and moved him one step closer towards sainthood.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27