By Nicola Cowell
WHEN Josefa Gamez Gutierrez was told that her baby son had died at birth at Malaga Hospital, she had no reason to believe otherwise.
But now, 48 years on, the mother from the Axarquia, believes he was actually taken by fascists and brainwashed.
It is the third claim of forced adoption to come to light this year.
Gutierrez, from Almachar, was told at the time that her baby had died, but she and her husband were never allowed to see the body and there is no record of his death.
When she pushed for more information she was told that the baby had already been buried.
There is evidence to suggest that tens of thousands of children were stolen from their left-wing parents during the Franco era, in similar cases.
Forced adoption under Franco first came to light after a Malaga woman reported that her daughter was stolen in 1970 and a woman from Torrox claimed that her baby also disappeared in suspicious circumstances in 1976.
Last year, Antonia Radas told the Olive Press how she was abducted aged two after she and her mother witnessed her father’s execution for being a supporter of democracy.
Her mother Carmen had been forced to give her up after being jailed for her husband’s left wing past.
Radas lived a comfortable life surrounded by lies; she was told her parents had abandoned her.
Years later, she discovered the truth and got to know her mother for 18 months before she died.
“My mother was destroyed by the pain,” she revealed. “She lived for 60 years with my photo under her pillow.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00