EXCLUSIVE By Wendy Williams
BEACHGOERS have slammed the authorities after they were allowed to swim in the sea just 30 minutes after a British father and son drowned in Almunecar.
They have also questioned whether red warning flags had been flying over Playa del Tesorillo beach, on the day the two men died.
Robert Wells, 75, and his son Jonathan, 45, had got into difficulties as they swam off the beach on September 7.
The story made headlines in the UK, particularly after a photographer got a picture of the two bodies lying under blankets on the shoreline, while people frollicked in the sea.
Holidaymaker Simon Murtagh told the Olive Press: “I was at that beach half an hour after they died and nobody warned us.
“We didn’t find out until after we came back safely from a swim and were told the full story by eye witnesses next to us.
“I can tell you there were no flags up.”
Despite police claims, other visitors, including an unnamed man who runs a bar on the beach, also insisted there were no red flags flying.
The pair from Cobham in Surrey died despite the brave efforts of two Spaniards who tried to save them but were forced back by the size of the waves.
Police and paramedics rushed to the scene but both Britons were already dead when they were pulled from the water.
According to Murtagh, the beach returned to normal within half an hour of the event.
He said: “When we arrived at the beach it was business as usual.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00