CORDOBA has triumphed over Malaga making it through to the last six cities in the race to be European Capital of Culture 2016.
The results – announced on Thursday by the President of the selection committee, Manfred Gaulhofer – mean the end of a six year campaign for Malaga to promote the cultural attractions of the city.
But for Cordoba, it is a reason to celebrate.
The Andalucian city was once one of the most important cities in the world ruling the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa from 929 to 1031.
And today the whole city is a World Heritage Site due to its historical legacy.
Moreover, it is one of the most multi cultural cities in all of Spain with two religions coming together in the symbol of the city, the Mosque-Cathedral.
All these factors stand the city in good stead to become the European Capital of Culture.
But competition remains fierce with the other remaining contenders – Burgos, Segovia, San Sebastián, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Zaragoza – all keen to take the highly coveted title.
The chosen city will be announced in June 2011 when they will come head to head with the representative for Poland.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00