By Wendy Williams
SHE was a courtesan, a dancer and most famously the lover of British naval hero Admiral Horatio Nelson.
Born in the 1760s Lady Hamilton climbed the ranks of society to become one of the wealthiest and most celebrated women in England.
But it wasn’t all a fairytale rags to riches story.
In 1805, just a few years after he left his wife for her, Nelson, was killed in the Battle of Trafalgar off the coast of Cadiz.
Lecture to explain why Nelson’s mistress was not allowed to attend his funeral after his death in Spain.
And Lady Hamilton, who was the love of his life and mother to his only child, was forbidden from attending his funeral in London.
Now her life is being told in a lecture by the DFAS de la Frontera at the San Roque Golf and Country Club on October
Historian, author and TV presenter Dr. Kate Williams will be giving an illustrated talk recounting Emma’s dramatic story and exploring how her eighteenth-century world was both glamorous and cruel.
For more information call 952804692 or visit www.nadfas-delafrontera.org.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00