A CONSERVATIVE MP is trying to save his luxury Spanish home from being torn down by bulldozers after being accused of illegally building an extension.
Mark Field flouted local planning regulations in Mallorca, constructing a 400 square foot annexe at the side of his home.
Now the 46-year-old has been told by the local council at Alaro that he will have to pay a fine of up to 20,000 euros to cover the cost of demolishing the doomed annexe.
Field, who has owned the detached property for three-years splitting his time between Mallorca and London, admitted breaking local building laws but said his lawyers were working to resolve the matter.
He explained: “There was some confusion regarding the building but there have been regular dealings with our lawyers and I am very confident that we will be able to sort everything out satisfactorily.”
However local Mayor, Joan Simonet, has accused Field of repeatedly ignoring the issue and said the council is giving the Tory one last chance before preparing to take drastic action.
Interestingly, Field is not the first to fall foul of planning restrictions here.
Two years ago the Olive Press covered the story that Newsnight presenter Kirsty Wark had flouted planning permission to build a tennis court at her Mallorca home.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00