A CONSERVATIVE MP is trying to save his luxury Spanish home from being torn down by bulldozers after being accused of illegally building an extension.
Mark Field flouted local planning regulations in Mallorca, constructing a 400 square foot annexe at the side of his home.
Now the 46-year-old has been told by the local council at Alaro that he will have to pay a fine of up to 20,000 euros to cover the cost of demolishing the doomed annexe.
Field, who has owned the detached property for three-years splitting his time between Mallorca and London, admitted breaking local building laws but said his lawyers were working to resolve the matter.
He explained: “There was some confusion regarding the building but there have been regular dealings with our lawyers and I am very confident that we will be able to sort everything out satisfactorily.”
However local Mayor, Joan Simonet, has accused Field of repeatedly ignoring the issue and said the council is giving the Tory one last chance before preparing to take drastic action.
Interestingly, Field is not the first to fall foul of planning restrictions here.
Two years ago the Olive Press covered the story that Newsnight presenter Kirsty Wark had flouted planning permission to build a tennis court at her Mallorca home.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00