ALMOST a decade after the horrific attack, a rape case involving a British woman is being reopened, thanks to new DNA evidence.
Police said two Spanish brothers who were brought in recently over a separate incident were routinely scanned for matches and the database flagged up a link to the brutal rape.
Now they and a third man, their cousin, have all been arrested over the gang attack that took place in November 2001.
The woman, who was 33 at the time, left a nightclub in Puerto Marina, Benalmádena with the three men she had met earlier that evening, but they then took her to waste land in Torremolinos and after drugging her, repeatedly raped her at knife point.
DNA evidence was found on the clothes of the victim at the time but no match could be found in the police database and detectives were unable to trace the perpetrators.
But now, it has been confirmed that two Spanish brothers were involved in the rape and one of their cousins is also implicated.
Police said of the arrests of the 31 and 32 year old brothers: “They were possible thanks to a biological profile obtained following the arrest for other criminal offences.”
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00