ALMOST a decade after the horrific attack, a rape case involving a British woman is being reopened, thanks to new DNA evidence.
Police said two Spanish brothers who were brought in recently over a separate incident were routinely scanned for matches and the database flagged up a link to the brutal rape.
Now they and a third man, their cousin, have all been arrested over the gang attack that took place in November 2001.
The woman, who was 33 at the time, left a nightclub in Puerto Marina, Benalmádena with the three men she had met earlier that evening, but they then took her to waste land in Torremolinos and after drugging her, repeatedly raped her at knife point.
DNA evidence was found on the clothes of the victim at the time but no match could be found in the police database and detectives were unable to trace the perpetrators.
But now, it has been confirmed that two Spanish brothers were involved in the rape and one of their cousins is also implicated.
Police said of the arrests of the 31 and 32 year old brothers: “They were possible thanks to a biological profile obtained following the arrest for other criminal offences.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00