By Wendy Williams
IT was the stuff fairytales are made of; a true rags-to-riches tale that ended with a glamorous wedding to a Prince charming.
Now, the courtship of the SpanishCrown Prince Felipe and former anchorwoman Princess Letizia has been made into a TV series by Telecinco.
Six years after the royal wedding in Madrid, Felipe and Letizia: A Love Story retraces their romance from Felipe’s break-up with Swedish model Eva Sannum right up to his wedding day, when Spain’s most eligible bachelor walked down the aisle to marry the granddaughter of a taxi driver.
In the fictionalised version of events, the series, starring Spanish actors Fernando Gil and Amaia Salamanca as the happy couple, explores how a divorced journalist was accepted into the royal family and the hearts
of the nation.
And with everything you may expect from a Hollywood romance – glamour, drama, intrigue – it is already proving popular.
The first episode aired last week attracting 4.2 million viewers.
The series comes just at the right moment for the Prince and heir to the throne.
Polls show support for the monarchy is declining whilst his ever popular father shows signs of ill health.
Supporters and critics of the monarchy both agree, the Prince’s choice of bride was a public relations triumph and maybe recapturing their love story on screen will prove the boost in popularity it needs.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00