By Wendy Williams
IT was the stuff fairytales are made of; a true rags-to-riches tale that ended with a glamorous wedding to a Prince charming.
Now, the courtship of the SpanishCrown Prince Felipe and former anchorwoman Princess Letizia has been made into a TV series by Telecinco.
Six years after the royal wedding in Madrid, Felipe and Letizia: A Love Story retraces their romance from Felipe’s break-up with Swedish model Eva Sannum right up to his wedding day, when Spain’s most eligible bachelor walked down the aisle to marry the granddaughter of a taxi driver.
In the fictionalised version of events, the series, starring Spanish actors Fernando Gil and Amaia Salamanca as the happy couple, explores how a divorced journalist was accepted into the royal family and the hearts
of the nation.
And with everything you may expect from a Hollywood romance – glamour, drama, intrigue – it is already proving popular.
The first episode aired last week attracting 4.2 million viewers.
The series comes just at the right moment for the Prince and heir to the throne.
Polls show support for the monarchy is declining whilst his ever popular father shows signs of ill health.
Supporters and critics of the monarchy both agree, the Prince’s choice of bride was a public relations triumph and maybe recapturing their love story on screen will prove the boost in popularity it needs.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00