SPAIN’S largest wind-turbine manufacturer, Gamesa, has announced they are to set up shop in Britain.
The news comes as David Cameron has declared the UK intends to become a world leader in offshore wind energy.
The British Prime Minister said in a statement: “We’re committing public money to ensure we have the infrastructure that attracts major manufacturers to come here and build their offshore wind turbines.”
And he announced the government may invest as much as 60 million pounds to achieve their goal.
Now, the Spanish manufacturer has made public their plans to establish an offshore technology centre in Britain as part of a major plan to concentrate its offshore wind power division in the UK.
The 2011 plan, is set to create over 1,000 jobs with the global offshore business headquartered in London.
In addition, the group announced it aims to develop logistics operations and maintenance services at several ports across the UK investing 150 million euros by 2014.
Gamesa chairman Jorge Calvet said: “The U.K.’s decision to enact an ambitious offshore plan, along with the country’s support for foreign investment and the availability of large ports convinced us to base the global headquarters of our offshore activity in the U.K.”
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27