PROPERTY owners whose homes were built unlawfully in Chiclana de la Frontera have launched their own political party.
The Partido Vecinal Regionalista is hoping to secure representation in the Town Hall at the upcoming local elections in six months time.
And they have already put forward their candidate for mayor, Marisol Ayala Contreras.
On behalf of the thousands of residents affected, she is demanding basic services such as water, electricity and sewerage “for all” and “not something that is sold at exorbitant prices.”
The party objective is to “fight from within” for what they believe they are entitled to.
And aside from their more personal goals, they are campaigning to improve unemployment, health and education in the area.
They have also claimed they will carry out an audit of the local council and will establish exactly how many illegal homes exist in the municipality.
As the Junta de Andalucía has estimated that there could be as many as 15,000 illegal homes in the municipality, the party has the potential to make a big difference.
Already, the party has 200 members and is supported by 25 associations of Chiclana.
A recent report from the Environmental Prosecutor noted: “The owners of illegal constructions linked in association have become real power groups which will try and change town planning discipline in local Town Halls”.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00