PROPERTY owners whose homes were built unlawfully in Chiclana de la Frontera have launched their own political party.
The Partido Vecinal Regionalista is hoping to secure representation in the Town Hall at the upcoming local elections in six months time.
And they have already put forward their candidate for mayor, Marisol Ayala Contreras.
On behalf of the thousands of residents affected, she is demanding basic services such as water, electricity and sewerage “for all” and “not something that is sold at exorbitant prices.”
The party objective is to “fight from within” for what they believe they are entitled to.
And aside from their more personal goals, they are campaigning to improve unemployment, health and education in the area.
They have also claimed they will carry out an audit of the local council and will establish exactly how many illegal homes exist in the municipality.
As the Junta de Andalucía has estimated that there could be as many as 15,000 illegal homes in the municipality, the party has the potential to make a big difference.
Already, the party has 200 members and is supported by 25 associations of Chiclana.
A recent report from the Environmental Prosecutor noted: “The owners of illegal constructions linked in association have become real power groups which will try and change town planning discipline in local Town Halls”.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48