FOLLOWING the death of four people in Madrid, the health authorities are looking for the source of the latest Legionnaires outbreak.
Traces of the bacteria, which has been spreading across central Madrid since mid-October, were found in contaminated cooling facilities belonging to the pizzeria ‘Danieli’.
And the Ministry of Health has confirmed it has sealed two cooling towers in the capital which had “high contamination” of Legionnaires.
But the next step is to compare the bacteria found in the towers with those who have been affected.
The ministry has also ordered the cleaning of five towers spread across Torrespaña, the Gregorio Maranon hospital and the headquarters of the Navy.
And to date 677 inspections have been carried out to determine the source and 137 samples have been sent to the Laboratory of Public Health.
There are now 44 reported cases of the disease which is caused by a bacteriological build-up in air-conditioning units.
The latest victim, an 82 year old woman died on November 2 at the Fundación Jiménez Díaz hospital.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27