A NEW weapon has emerged in the battle to rid Andalucia of its infestation of red palm weevils – sex!
Researchers are lacing nearby areas with the weevils’ own sex hormones in a bid to try and lure them away from the trees.
And a leading horticulturalist believes anyone who owns palms should have to lay pheromone traps BY LAW.
Gardener and weevil expert Lisa Taylor, 37, said: “If your garden has palm trees, then I think by law you should have at least two pheromone traps to stop the weevils spreading.
“People have said that we should stop buying palms from Egypt but it doesn’t matter as they will continue to spread from within Spain and the tree will get infested anyway.”
Taylor added: “Be vigilant and try to deal with it before it is too late.”
Affected resident, the historical fiction author Alistair Forrest, says the plague is overrunning his garden in Monda, near Coin.
In one 24-hour period he caught more than 20 of the pests.
He said: “I’m staggered by the sudden attack.”
The insects can fly 500m from palm to palm and females lay up to 300 eggs in the tree.
Once hatched the grubs bore into the interior of the palm, eating it from the inside out and usually killing the tree in the process.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00