SIR Sean Connery and other suspects in the ‘Goldfinger’ case have been ordered to deposit a joint guarantee bond of 60 million euros by a Marbella court.
The investigation relates to alleged irregularities in the sale of the Connerys’ Marbella home, Malibu, in 2006.
An estimated 53 million euros were made from the sale of 72 luxury flats built on Malibu’s former site.
Town planning laws, however, permitted only five apartments on the land.
Marbella Town Hall claims to have lost out 2.7 million euros on the deal.
Among the 26 ‘Goldfinger’ suspects are Sir Sean’s wife Micheline Connery, Marbella’s ex-mayor Julian Munoz and the town’s former planning chief Juan Antonio Roca.
Roca is also the main accused in the massive ‘Malaya’ corruption case.
Should the ‘Goldfinger’ suspects fail to pay the bond within 10 days, authorities will consider trying to freezing the suspects’ assets.
The Connerys pleaded poor health in choosing not to travel to Marbella last October to meet with the investigators.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27