By Wendy Williams
AN ex-pat family have been left without electricity for nearly a month despite insisting they have paid their bill.
The family of five have been living in the dark since being cut off by Endesa despite paying their bill a few days late last month.
Katrina Miller, who lives in Archidona with her husband, elderly mother and two children, explained: “The bill was paid just slightly late, but I explained the situation and the woman in the office said everything would be fine.
“Then suddenly three days later the lights went out when nobody was at home.
“I thought this was against basic human rights,” she added.
Since being cut off the Miller family – who have lived in Archidona for six years – have been forced to jump through hoops.
“It’s a nightmare. We have been told different stories every time we have contacted Endesa,” said Katrina. “Staff have been so unhelpful.”
“They told us that we had to get an official report, or boletin, from an electrician, then we needed to get new buttons on our electric panel, all of which we have done.
“But they keep changing the goalposts and I feel like a performing seal.”
The latest demand is that the family move the electric metre outside the house at their own expense.
But their local town hall has written a letter on their behalf explaining it does not want outside meters on its historical streets.
Now the Millers must wait to see what Endesa will have them do next.
“It seems endless,” added Katrina, “I just don’t know where to go from here.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00