By Amie Keeley
THE British government has appointed an overseas property advisor following pressure from expat action groups who have lost millions in Spanish property scams.
The move comes after it was recently reported 300 Britons lost 40 million euros in deposits to Estepona Beach and Country Club near Marbella, part of which was never built.
The overseas advisor will advise British victims of property fraud and direct them to the correct Spanish government authorities.
But some pressure groups argue that laws are not tight enough and have too many loopholes allowing bogus property developers to con hundreds of expats.
The British ambassador to Spain has also raised some issues with the Andalucian regional government and the Minister for Public Works and Housing, including illegal permits and the time and cost spent resolving property disputes.
A spokesman for the British Embassy in Madrid said they cannot influence Spanish legislation, but are putting pressure on the authorities to do something about the problems effecting UK citizens and Spain’s reputation abroad.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00