IT is not normally the burglars who call the police when robbing a house.
But this is what happened when two youths tried to break into expat Gerard Carroll’s house in Pruna last week.
The pair were forced to call police after his guard dogs pinned one of them to the ground and refused to let the other go.
The masteins jumped over a four foot wall to get at the thieves, one of whom is said to be the son of a local fire chief.
“They were so scared one of them called the police in panic,” said Caroll, 52, who bought the dogs after his home was burgled a year ago.
“The police did absolutely nothing after my first burglary and there has been a spate of burglaries ever since.
“I decided to take the matter into my own hands and it seems to have worked.”
Carroll explained that he had the dogs specially trained to guard the house in the event of a burglary.
One of the burglars is still receiving treatment in hospital.
“It just shows this is the only way crime can be dealt with here otherwise it will just keep happening,” Carroll added.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48