TOP Spanish cyclist Xavier Tondo has died in a freak accident after he was crushed between his car and a garage door at his home in the Sierra Nevada ski resort.
The 32-year-old – who was in training for this year Tour de France – was killed yesterday morning while trying to take his car out of the garage in the Pradollano residential complex.
It’s understood that the cyclist got out of the car to try to get the garage door to open but his car rolled forward and pinned him against the door.
His Movistar team mate, Beñat Intxausti, was in the passenger seat at the time.
Tondo, who was born in Tarragona, had won 14 races during his career as a professional cyclist, including the Vuelta a Castilla y León earlier this year.
His fellow countryman, Tour de France winner and current Giro d’Italia leader Alberto Contador led the tributes via Twitter.
“Life is so unjust and difficult to understand at certain moments, it’s impossible to describe my feelings on the death of Xavi Tondo,” Contador wrote.
“My most sincere condolences to his family. He was an incredible person who loved this sport like nobody else. You will be missed. Rest in peace.”
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46