FIRST on my “Favorite Things About Córdoba” list, hopefully something I will be able to recreate with some success back home, is the cuisine.
Lots of pork, olive oil, potatoes and vegetables make for a simple, delicious diet.
One of my favorite dishes, which locals proudly laud as found only in Córdoba province (okay, maybe a little bit of Málaga) is called flamenquín.
Flamenquín (say: flah-men-KEEN) is pork shoulder, called lomo, wrapped in ham, breaded and deep-fried in pure Andalucian olive oil. Served with fried potatoes and a little mayo, this is a perfect dinner dish to go with a cold caña of beer any night of the week.
My other favorite is a combo usually served as a summer first course for lunch.
Tortilla de patata, the Spanish omelette, is just potatoes, onions and eggs.
Andalucía’s version of gazpacho is called salmorejo (say: sahl-mo-RAY-hoe), a refreshing cold tomato soup made from tomatoes, green peppers, garlic, oil and vinegar. This is the easiest thing I have ever made. Chop the ingredients, put them in a blender, ignore while chatting with a friend for four or five minutes while drinking tinto de verano, chill and serve.
The local secret? Dip your tortilla de patata in the salmorejo. Scrumptious.
If you’re not a cook, going out to eat in Córdoba is very inexpensive so it’s worth the walk and a few euros to have an experienced chef make these for you. ¡Buen provecho!
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33