HALF of Britain’s wealthiest crooks have links to Spain, it can be revealed.
Five of the UK’s Top Ten criminals – estimated to be worth around 920 million euros between them – have made large chunks of their fortune out of drug smuggling through Spain.
The majority also have a string of properties on the Iberian peninsula, as well as yachts and luxury cars.
In the case of one, Mickey Green he is said to have buried his millions in a series of safe deposits in the hills above Marbella.
Green who has been on the run for 20 years is still believed to live in Andalucia.
Known as ‘the Pimpernel’ for his amazing ability to evade capture, he has been trailed by police through Morocco, France and America.
But detectives now believe he is currently living in Malaga province, ‘probably near Marbella’.
Three of the top five in the News of the World poll have particularly strong connections to Spain.
Mickey Green, 69, 85m
Still on the loose after evading capture for more than 20 years and thought to be living near Marbella. The authorities believe he has buried some of his millions in the hills there.
Brian Wright, 64, 115m
Known as the Milkman because he always delivered, Wright is currently serving a 30 year sentence for drug dealing after being arrested in Spain, where he had been living since 2005.
Curtis Warren, 47, 350m
The only drugs trafficker to appear in the Sunday Times Rich List, ‘Cocky’ is locked up in Belmarsh top-security prison but is known to have a vast property portfolio including a string of Spanish casinos.
John Palmer, 60, 350m
The fake timeshare tycoon and ex-market trader is understood to be living on his £6 million yacht off the coast of Tenerife. He was banged up for selling non-existent holiday homes to 17,000 tourists and is also suspected of masterminding a criminal gang in Tenerife.
Brian Charrington, 55, 23m
Charrington built up a vast international drugs empire and subsequently spent time in jail for drug smuggling but is now a free man with a home in Calpe, Costa Blanca.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46