WITH peak asparagus season well under way the experts have given us another good reason to eat this Spring green.
Researchers in India have discovered that asparagus actually contains a powerful natural antibiotic that fights bacterial and fungal infections.
The study tested extracts from the plants on microbes taken from the mouths of oral cancer patients.
Alongside several other plants used in traditional folk medicine – including castor oil, desert dates, fenugreek and false daisy – asparagus was found to have a significant impact on the growth of the organisms in the laboratory.
Scientists now hope the herbal remedies might point the way to new treatments for drug-resistant microbes such as the ‘superbug’ MRSA.
Dr Jaya Parkash Yadav, from Maharshi Dayanand University, said: “Natural medicines are increasingly important in treating disease.”
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46