By James Bryce
A THIEF who swallowed a diamond after stealing it from a British woman has been apprehended by Spanish police.
The woman alerted the authorities after realising her handbag – containing a 12,000 euro diamond pendant, 2,000 euros and £500 in cash – was missing, as she dined with a friend at a Marbella restaurant.
The suspect was arrested four hours later, along with three others, after being stopped during a routine police check in Torremolinos.
Police became suspicious after spotting the four men, who are known to have criminal records for robbery.
A search of the car recovered the stolen items, although a quick thinking officer realised something was amiss after spotting one of the suspects raising his hand to his mouth.
Subsequent x-rays carried out at a local clinic confirmed the diamond had been swallowed.
The jewel was returned to its owner three days later, with police spokeswoman Ana Moreno confirming it had been ‘retrieved in the simplest and most natural way.’
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02