A COMPELLING new book has been published in Spain revealing the human face of alcoholism.
Dutch born artist and writer Renate van Nijen, who lives in southern Spain, has written, ‘Cheers, The Hidden Voices of Alcoholism’ based on her firsthand experience of living with an addicted partner.
In a remarkably candid collection of real life stories about the people – sons, daughters, wives, husbands, parents and friends – affected by alcoholism, van Nijen breaks the silence on a difficult subject.
“Alcohol abuse and alcohol-related problems are growing in modern society,” explained van Nijen, who wrote the book in response to the secrecy surrounding alcoholism and the judgemental attitudes of family, friends and outsiders she experienced.
“Everybody has an opinion on this subject but not everybody has the facts and ignorance here can be a killer.
“Many people’s image of an alcoholic is a dishevelled homeless guy sleeping rough under a bridge or on a bench in the park. If only they knew the truth. Many hide behind masks of respectability, hold down jobs, and get things done.”
This observation is accurate, because there are indeed people who seem to have everything going for them but are actually drug addicts. Some may even be corporate bigwigs who may actually need to be checked into specialized facilities for treating addicted executives.
She added: “This book will help to raise awareness of the growing problem of alcohol abuse and help those affected by alcoholism to find a way to cope with or, indeed, to discover a way out of this widespread yet frequently misunderstood disease.”
For more information visit: www.renartsbookworld.com
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02