SALVADOR Dali once called her the most beautiful woman in the world.
But in a bizarre twist the 1600-year-old Dama de Elche has now been voted the sexiest Spanish woman of all time.
Hundreds of thousands of people voted in a poll run by FHM to declare the face behind the fourth century Iberian bust officially sexier than Spanish beauties Penelope Cruz, Sara Montiel and Paz Vega.
The bust – discovered in 1897 by a local farmer at L’Alcúdia archaeological site – also beat other historic figures such as Isabel de Borbon who was well renowned for her beauty.
But the magazine has since decided her victory was the result of a joke or someone hacking the website and so has re-launched the competition.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58