RIOT police have clashed with demonstrators from Spain’s growing 15M movement over the repossession of a family’s home near Jerez.
A total of six police were injured when they moved in to evict the family-of-five from their home on the outskirts of the city.
According to the authorities, missiles were thrown and scuffles broke out, as 11 people were arrested in the clash to save the family from eviction.
Bullets were fired in the air and a number of reporters and photographers were also injured in the clash.
It took the police two-and-a-half hours to clear the home of José Vega Gutiérrez and Antonia Alhama Sánchez, after they failed to pay three quotes towards their 24,000 euro mortgage.
The father of three had to be taken to hospital during the morning suffering from stress, while two other people were hospitalised in the disturbances.
While Jerez town hall insisted it ‘sympathised’ with the family, a spokesman claimed that there was no way of avoiding the action.
The group of over 30 protesters from the 15M movement, which blocked Madrid’s Puerta del Sol for a month earlier this year, walked to the courts in Jerez to continue their opposition.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00