NEARLY everyone’s favourite part of the traditional Christmas lunch is the roast potatoes and it is something that can be enjoyed even if you decide to trade your turkey in for the more Spanish suckling pig.
So here we give you some of Heston Blumenthal’s top tips for the perfect roastie:
- Choose the right type of potato – you need a potato with a reasonably high amount of dry matter so choose a floury rather than a waxy one such as a Maris Piper.
- Buy them big – one thing that gives a potato crunch is pointy edges where the fat can collect so buy large ones you can cut into halves or quarters.
- Wash well – if you don’t wash the starch off, you’re likely to end up with a slightly chewy potato.
- Boil till they almost break –bring to the boil and cook for 25-30 minutes until they are near to falling apart. Gently lift them out and place in a colander to drain.
- Be generous with the fat – it gives the potatoes its delicious crispy coating so you need a reasonable supply. Preheat the oven to 180C and pour oil into the tray to half a centimetre.
- Get roasting – make sure they’re in a single layer and not touching. Turn to coat fully in oil and then put into the oven for at least an hour turning every 20 minutes.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10