IT’S a beautifully random concept. A microfestival. One band, playing a concert for 30 minutes, in an unusual venue, entertaining a small crowd. It’s not an exclusive, but just beautifully random.
Mequierovivir, written in red scrawl across the window, is a retro paradise. Whether it be emptying their front shop window to have experimental poetry readings with static human mannequins in the display, or hosting intimate acoustic gigs with a backdrop of wallpaper that’d make your grandmother reminisce. The latter was the setting for the first microfestival by film maker, photographer and blogger, Korova from Pamplona, in his new series of POP-UP concerts.
Mequierovivir is nestled between an Italian restaurant and a tobacco shop on the Plaza del Castillo, Pamplona’s main square. Inside, any vintage-loving free spirit or charity shop meanderer will be on cloud nine. There is a library of unusual, golden finds, then a row of rotary dial telephones in bright acrylic chrome, and selections of gimmicks and old board games in all the nooks and crannies. The back room is an art gallery. I’d already looked through some of the artwork on their website, screwing my face up at the more gregarious material – the open neck muscles of a beautiful woman loaded and scrutinized. In fact, I was drawn in by the sketches, shadows, portraits and patterns in thick ornate golden frames that hung sporadically over the walls.
Wilhelm and the Dancing Animals were chosen to perform at the first POP-UP microfestival by Korova. This energetic indie band are homegrown from Pamplona and undeniably up-and-coming, winning best demo in Mondo Sonora magazine. As a crowd filled the gallery like sardines in a retro tin can, I snuck into the back row. This band are effortlessly full of personality and natural talent, their blend of different instruments is folk rock and alternative. They played an acoustic set that entranced the audience and steamed up the shop windows. Their next gig is ‘Fiesta Demoscopia de Mondosonora’ on 17thFebruary 2012 in Bilbao.
- Follow Korova’s webpage for more POP-UP microfestivals and music blogging: http://www.korova.es/#all
- Download a free demo from Wilhelm and the Dancing Animals at: http://wilhelmandthedancinganimals.bandcamp.com/
- Furry faces are transforming fundraising - 25 Nov, 2012 @ 21:05
- Save Erasmus! - 18 Nov, 2012 @ 12:44
- The mighty Camino de Santiago: The Highlights - 11 Oct, 2012 @ 20:08
- The mighty Camino de Santiago - 16 Sep, 2012 @ 22:36
- So, you think you know everything about San Fermín? - 7 Jul, 2012 @ 08:35
- Have you been in Portugal? - 24 Jun, 2012 @ 10:46
- Festival Tres Sesenta invades - 13 Jun, 2012 @ 09:08
- Music is all around… - 8 Jun, 2012 @ 17:45
- Fast-forward in the Pyrenees - 30 May, 2012 @ 08:36
- A love affair with tortilla de patatas: A recipe for disaster? - 10 May, 2012 @ 12:57