THE mystery has been solved over a possible Maddie sighting on the Costa del Sol.
Karsten Mayer, whose name has appeared in newspapers around the world in the last few days, has come forward to insist he has nothing to do with the inquiry.
The Swiss father-of-three was traced after the Olive Press handed details over to the police and German media.
Swiss detectives are now believed to be interviewing the 41-year-old, who voluntarily went to the police.
He confirmed that he had been at the campsite in Cabopino just days after the toddler vanished in 2007 but that the blond girl mistaken for Maddie was in fact his own daughter who was the same age.
“I did have a girl around about Maddie’s age in the car – she was my own daughter who also happens to have blonde coloured hair and was about the same age as Maddie at the time,” said Mayer, a German-speaking Swiss native who lives near the capital Bern.
“I was at the camping ground with my family. It is really unbelievable that I am some kind of suspect because we read about Maddie’s disappearance on a notice at the campsite. We were shocked and we felt for the parents.
“It is quite possible that my daughter appeared distant. She was tired after a very long road trip.
“We spent 12 days at the camping ground we journeyed further around Portugal. I don’t think a kidnapper would have done that.”
It comes a day after it emerged British mother-of-two Karen Sissons, 49, had contacted police in three different countries after becoming concerned about a girl on a campsite who did not speak and seemed ‘out of it and extremely removed from her family.’
Even more intriguingly, detectives investigating the British toddler’s disappearance had been told a German family had paid a supplement for an extra child after arriving at the campsite on May 6, 2007.
And it was discovered the numberplate recorded by the campsite, which began ‘BE’ with five letters has not been used in Germany since 1974.
However the number plate has since been traced to Mayer’s home near Bern.
“I find these media reports about me unbelievable and am reporting to police immediately before I am arrested!” added the self-employed businessman.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46