SPANISH supermarket Mercadona has taken 11 cosmetic products off its shelves after they were found to have links to cancer.
The chain recalled the Deliplus and Solcare products, including moisturisers and after-sun lotions, after it was found two of the ingredients could produce a substance linked with causing cancerous tumours.
When used simultaneously the two ingredients, triethanolamine which controls pH, and the preservative bronopol, can form the carcinogenic substance nitrosamine.
The Health Ministry has declined to issue a health warning and has reassured the public the products ‘do not pose any risk to the health of users’.
It comes after the Spanish Agency of Medicines and Health Products (AEMPS) conducted a routine product assessment and found the combination of ingredients went against current legislation.
The small amounts of these ingredients used in the product means it is unlikely it will cause any harm but the manufacturer has decided to change the formula.
Meanwhile Mercadona confirmed ‘there is no evidence these products were harmful to health’ and that it had chosen voluntarily to withdraw the products.
Customers can return the products in exchange for a new one or get their money back.
The supermarket has also set up a telephone number for anyone wanting further information: 902 548 222.
The products affected are:
Solcare locion after sun hidratante
Solcare locion after sun luminosidad
Solcare gel after sun aloe vera
Deliplus nutritiva corporal con aceite de oliva
Deliplus crema de manos nutritiva
Deliplus hidratante corporal con aloe
Deliplus hidratante corporal efecto luminosidad
Deliplus hidrantante corporal reafirmante
Deliplus hidratante antisequedad para pies
Deliplus nutritiva corporal con almendras
Deliplus hidratante corporal pieles atopicas
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46