A SPANISH terror suspect who has spent 17 years on the run has been arrested in Britain.
The Spanish Interior Ministry confirmed that Raul Angel Fuentes Villota, an alleged member of Basque terrorist group Eta, has been detained in Liverpool.
Villota, originally from Bilbao, has been wanted since 1995 and is believed to be linked to several murders in Spain.
The Spaniard was jailed in 1991 for attempting to plant a bomb on a police officer’s car.
After serving four years in prison, Villota failed to appear in court, sparking a warrant for his arrest.
“Merseyside Police has arrested a 56-year-old Spanish national who was wanted in connection with historic terrorism offences in Spain in 1991.
“”He has been detained and Merseyside Police is liaising with the Spanish Embassy in relation to his extradition,” said a police spokesman.
A statement from the Interior Ministry said the suspect has been living in the UK with false documents and was ‘waiting for instructions’ from the Eta.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36