By Mason Jones
A TIMESHARE salesman convicted of running dodgy cashback schemes on the Costa del Sol is planning to pump €17 million into his old rugby club.
Tony Larvin, 48, hopes to take over indebted Hull Kingston Rovers, where he played as a teenager, despite conning hundreds of holidaymakers in Spain.
Larvin, who still claims he is innocent, spent five months in a Spanish prison after his firm, Cashback Promotions, conned clients out of millions in investment funds.
The conman – a former associate of the late seasoned fraudster Garry Leigh – now lives the millionaire lifestyle.
The businessman, now based in the UK, brushed off his damaged reputation and urged people to judge him on what he can do for the struggling club and not on his past.
He said: “They were completely false accusations and I have spent a long time, and a lot of money, clearing my name.”
He added: “I have no case to answer and I am here now, trying to do my best for Hull. I hope fans will give me that chance.”
The businessman claims he is funding the investment with money he earned from working with investment banks and hedge fund companies since being released from prison in Spain.
The Olive Press reported in 2011 how Larvin had bought stunning Bentley Hall, in the town of Beverley, and was driving a top-of-the-range Mercedes.
A close family source said: “That’s not bad for a guy who left Spain with what he could carry in the back of his car.
“He says he earns his money in investments but I don’t know how because he doesn’t do anything all day.”
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02