CAMPAIGNERS in Fuengirola made a ‘human chain’ along the coastline as their battle against gas drilling continues.
The group, Citizens Against Oil Exploration on the Costa del Sol, gathered on the town’s promenade in protest of plans to drill for gas 9 km off the Costa del Sol.
Campaigners hope the series of protests will help expose concerns about the effect drilling could have on the Costa del Sol’s tourism industry, the leading source of employment in the area.
There have already been two protests held in the neighbouring town of Mijas, and a boat trip has been organised to take residents to the proposed drilling spot on February 17.
“I feel it’s getting bigger every time,” said campaigner Luis Sanchez Garcia before the protest.
“Many people have no idea about this, but if everyone gets together maybe we can make a change in the plan.
“We know it is still going to go ahead but I believe a citizens voice and opinion is always important.
“I would say that nearly everyone here on the coast is against this project, this is the Costa del Sol not the Costa del Gas!”
The cruise will start from Benalmadena Marina at 10.30 am and from Fuengirola Marina at 11.30 am.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36