GREATER Manchester Police are asking British expats to help locate a fraudster thought to be hiding on the Costa del Sol.
Unemployed Tony Murphy, 40, duped banks into giving him almost €350,000 by claiming he owned a string of successful businesses.
Murphy, from Altrincham, Manchester, used the cash to fund a jet set lifestyle and buy several properties before being busted last year.
Credit card applications showed the Brit claimed he earned over €80,000 from owning a car dealership, and a further €46,000 by working as an electrician.
But Murphy, who is believed to have fled to Malaga airport while awaiting trial, had declared just €2,593 earnings over a six year period.
Following a raid on his €400,000 home in Hale, police found photographs of him posing with an orangutan on a trip to Bangkok, along with an old passport detailing many other holidays.
Police also found evidence linking him to convicted drug dealer Jimmy Maxwell.
Maxwell, 35, is currently serving 22 years in a Florida jail for running a large Ecstasy ring in the US.
Det Sgt Pat Goodrich of Greater Manchester Police said: “We had been investigating Murphy’s financial background for a year before the raid.
“We found some very interesting evidence at his house, apart from the photos he had posters of the film Scarface on the wall of his property.
“We very much hope we can trace Murphy,” he added.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36