AN army of pigeons is flocking to the Costa del Sol this summer.
In the first ever race to the coast around 750 homing pigeons will race from Madrid to Arroyo de la Miel on June 22.
Dubbed the International Derby, the winner is likely to fly the 380km flight in under four hours.
The event sponsored by Benalmadena town hall has already attracted entries from countries such as the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Portugal.
The top prize is €9,000 with entries accepted until March 31.
Some owners and their birds have already arrived to acclimatise and train.
For more information visit www.derbycostadelsol.com
- Fruit growers fight to safeguard Costa produce - 8 Mar, 2013 @ 12:35
- More bad weather to come in Andalucia - 7 Mar, 2013 @ 14:29
- Axarquia shop owners to dress windows as part Easter celerations - 7 Mar, 2013 @ 13:21
- New app offers UK children’s programmes in Spanish - 7 Mar, 2013 @ 10:18
- The ladies who made a difference - 5 Mar, 2013 @ 13:56
- Money over the bridge - 5 Mar, 2013 @ 09:10
- €400 incentive to increase youth employment - 5 Mar, 2013 @ 09:00
- Donkeys’ star status won’t save them from eviction - 4 Mar, 2013 @ 16:40
- Looking at the Labyrinth - 1 Mar, 2013 @ 14:36
- Ticket to the States! - 1 Mar, 2013 @ 12:00