A BRITISH expat has spent almost €1,500 trying to get his motor home roadworthy through a system he accuses of lacking ‘common sense’.
Michael Roach, 70, from Casares, has faced a string of problems since bringing the Bambi motor home from Britain last August.
Soon after the vehicle arrived in Spain, Roach went to his local ITV station in Estepona to register it and pay import tax.
Required to pay for the motor-home to be inspected, Roach was told he would need to buy new tyres even though the vehicle had passed its MOT in the UK.
“They said that mine were commercial ones and I had to change the front to 77T, and the rear to 78T, but they no longer make 78T.
“Then the tester said it should have a vehicle identification number (VIN) stamp on the chassis, even though there are stamps elsewhere on the vehicle.
“But he said we could stamp it ourselves with the correct tools,” added Roach.
However, after the expat stamped the vehicle and returned to the ITV station for a final inspection he claims the same inspector told him stamping a chassis yourself was ‘illegal’.
“He said it was illegal and it was not there when they first inspected it and refused to sign it off. We are going round in circles.
“I understand they’ve got set rules but they don’t seem to use any common sense,” said Roach.
“It is so totally unfair… can anyone help me?”
After shelling out for new tyres, two ITV tests, paying import tax and facing several other minor problems, Roach is still not allowed to take it on the road.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36