AN elderly couple involved in a long-running battle with their bank after a home insurance cock-up have received a payout thanks to the Olive Press.
It comes after we reported how pensioners Terry and Doreen Barker, both in their 70s, were devastated to discover they were not covered by their insurer, Caser, after being burgled in May 2011.
Despite being persuaded to switch to the company by their bank Unicaja in 2009, the direct debit scheme had not been set up properly.
Now the bank has agreed it made a mistake and coughed up just over €5,000 to compensate them for the loss of jewellery, possessions and damage to their home.
The bank had initially insisted that the Barkers should have been checking the direct debits had been paid.
Mr Barker said: “The bank finally agreed to meet with us and said they would pay us half the money.
“The manager said he had seen the article in the Olive Press and that he wanted to put things right.
“However, we really felt this wasn’t enough especially considering we have had to pay out about €1,500 for a solicitor to deal with our case.
“Following another meeting we have now reached a much more satisfactory settlement.
“I would like to thank the Olive Press for all the help they have given us.”
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33