By Jon Clarke
ANDALUCIA’S top chef Dani Garcia has revealed how much he has enjoyed opening his new restaurant in New York.
But not everything has been plain sailing, he told the Olive Press.
The two Michelin-starred chef behind Marbella’s Calima restaurant revealed that typically on his first night off the New York Times food critic came to eat.
“And I have no idea if he liked it or not as he hasn’t done the review yet,” he revealed over tapas at a fashion launch at the Malaga car museum.
“But that said I am loving spending half my time in New York.
“There is such an amazing buzz in the city and there is literally everything to do and eat.”
The Marbella-born chef, who trained at Malaga’s cookery school La Consula, opened his first US eatery Manzanilla in the Big Apple a month ago.
The 600m square brasserie-style restaurant in Manhattan is promoting the best of Andalucia with some classic dishes such as searched Iberican pork from Huelva.
There is also Payoyo cheese from Grazalema and a big selection of sherries from Jerez.
“They are becoming quite fashionable again in certain circles in New York,” he added.
Garcia has just reopened his Marbella restaurant again this month after a winter break.
“The recession is biting so the prices are coming down a little and we are bringing back the a la carte menu because not everyone can deal with a 15-course menu degustacion.”
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36